WHAT WE DO
The Dunvegan Group’s Proprietary Model
How customers decide whether to stay or leave your company.
Based on our work with B2B companies over the past 20 years, we have developed the Service/Pain/Competitive (SPC™) model of the decision-making process followed by a customer when deciding whether to continue to do business with a company or to go elsewhere – this model incorporates the three decision criteria your customer uses when making this decision.
- Service Excellence: How good is the service your company is currently providing (using any criteria the customer may consider relevant to the well-being of their business)?
- Pain Tolerance: How easy customers think it would be to switch to a competitor — is it more/less ‘painful’ to switch than to remain as a customer of your company?
- Competitive Offerings: What competitive service providers your customers are aware of — and how good customers think they are compared to your company?
The Dunvegan Service/Pain/Competitive SPC™ model explains that:
- Some satisfied B2B customers leave because it’s easy. “The switch was easy, and it will be just as easy to switch back if things don’t work out with my new service provider.”
- Some dissatisfied B2B customers stay because it’s too painful to leave! “The pain of staying and tolerating poor service is less than the pain or bother of switching.
- Some dissatisfied B2B customers stay because they have no better option. “I have no options or better options”
Evidently, “satisfaction” is neither sufficient, or in some cases necessary, to bind B2B customers to your company and retain their business!
By measuring the customers’ perspective on all three aspects of the SPC™ model, The Dunvegan Group created a new metric – the Business Retention Index™ (BRI™) – a better and more precise indicator of the strength of the bond between a customer and a B2B company. The BRI™ is a powerful early warning indicator of customers at risk of defection; it also identifies valuable customer advocates who will help to build your business through referrals.
Learn about our programs for keeping satisfied customers.